Thursday, May 21, 2015

Brenda Drake's The Voice Contest

Here's my entry for Brenda Drake's The Voice Contest. My query letter and the first 250 words of a cozy mystery.

Query Letter:

Dear agent,

Crawling under her neighbor’s front porch, cat rescuer Kayla Maloney discovers a dead body - the human kind.

With the arrest of grumpy Mrs. Willoughby, Kayla finds herself stuck with her neighbor’s cat hating Chihuahua.

Eager to restore peace and quiet to her happy home while facing possible unemployment and eviction thanks to the antics of her lovable but absentminded grandmother, Kayla agrees to help Mrs. Willoughby. She may wish she had nine lives when her search leads to a clever killer purrfectly content to arrange a permanent catnap for Kayla.

MEOWING FOR MURDER: A Cat Rescuer Mystery is a 75,000 word cozy mystery available upon request.


Sincerely,

Violet I.


First 250 words:

I glanced at the alarm clock and did the math in my head calculating just how many hours of sleep I’d get if I miraculously fell asleep right that very second. Unfortunately the answer was not nearly enough.
With the air conditioner broken and my landlord in no particular rush to fix it, I’d been sleeping with the windows open, desperate for even the slightest breeze. Tonight it was so danged miserable even the crickets had had the good sense to go to sleep. Lucky them.  
I adjusted my pillows and for my effort I was rewarded with a glare from my bedmate Max, a seal point Siamese. We’d begun cohabitating since last year when I’d rescued him from a trash can behind the town’s only laundromat. I closed my eyes and once again attempted sleep.
*
I held my breath trying to figure out what had woken me. Max was no longer on his pillow. As I sat up I heard the meow of one determined and ticked off Siamese. I raced through the house calling for him silently chiding myself for expecting him to respond.
I found him staring at the front door. The hairs on my arms stood up. Had he sensed a prowler? I looked around for something to use as a weapon. Sadly, my options were limited to a coat rack, an umbrella, and a pair of muddy gym shoes.
Grabbing the umbrella, I glanced down at Max and for just a moment  wished I’d rescued a Doberman.

7 comments:

  1. A younger Nancy Drew tale that's just cute! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in the competition! (Are you on Twitter, btw?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be finish of mine day, but before finish I am reading this wonderful article to improve my know-how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I found your web site by means of Google even as looking for a comparable topic, your web site came up, it seems great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, just was aware of your weblog via Google, and located that it is truly informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you happen to continue this in future. Numerous other folks will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that's actually excellent, keep up writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this blog. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own site now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and all. Nevertheless think about if you added some great photos or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this blog could certainly be one of the best in its niche. Wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete